Young Leaders Program
Young Leaders Program
The Young Leaders Program is for young people aged 16 – 25 years who live, work or study in the City of Greater Dandenong. The program provides a unique opportunity for participants to increase their participation in the local community, learn leadership skills and to meet and work with like-minded individuals.
2019 Young Leaders projects
Each year, the Young Leaders are supported to research, plan, deliver and evaluate community projects based on identified community needs.
Community Safety Project
The Young Leaders’ community safety project, Youth Exceeding Expectations, aims to challenge community perceptions of young people as the perpetrators of antisocial or criminal behaviour in Central Dandenong.
The group are planning to deliver a ‘pop up event’ at Dandenong Station, to positively activate the space and engage with commuters. The Young Leaders have undertaken extensive research to support their campaign and will be promoting the following key messages:
- Crime in Greater Dandenong has declined since 2016.
- Youth crime (10-24 years) in Greater Dandenong has declined by 15% since 2014.
- Less one-third of crime in Greater Dandenong is committed by young people.
- Young people aged 15-24 years have the highest volunteering numbers.
The Young Leaders will be at Dandenong Station on Tuesday 29 October, 4.30pm – 6.00pm to engage with commuters. Come along to enjoy performances from talented young musicians and food giveaways. Test your knowledge about young people in Greater Dandenong and learn more about their inspiring stories.
If you see the Young Leaders at Dandenong Station, let us know what you think by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Health Project
The Young Leaders have identified the impact of technology and social media as an emerging challenge influencing young people’s mental health. The project team have developed a three-part approach to addressing this challenge:
- Safe Socials: a workshop for young people aged 12-16 years, designed to help explore the impact of social media on mental health, and to promote the use of self-care strategies for navigating the online world.
- Beyond the Screen: a resource for young people, with tips on how to manage the use of technology to support positive health and wellbeing (Click here to download)
- Presentation: the Young Leaders presented to more than 70 youth workers at the Greater Dandenong Youth Network during Mental Health Week. The young people shared their perspective on the role technology plays in their lives.
Health and Wellbeing Project
The Young Leaders are working on producing a life skills resource to support newly arrived and migrant young people who having a caring role. The Young Leaders recognised that these young people can often take on additional responsibility in supporting their family as they settle in Australia.
The young people consulted with the Centre for Multicultural Youth, and the Southern Migrant and Refugee Centre Youth Advisory Group, to determine the content for the resource. The booklet will contain information relating to healthcare, mental health, employment, health eating and financial management. The resource will be launched in late-November 2019.
2020 Young Leaders Program
Applications for the next Young Leaders Program will open in January 2020.
If you are aged 16 -25 years and are interested in developing your leadership skills, register your interest by contacting Youth and Family Services on 9793 2155 or email@example.com.
Find out more and get involved
Phone: 9793 2155
In person: 39 Clow Street, Dandenong